View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #463
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Sorry my narrative got ahead of the photo capacity. Photo #1 shows the mount off of the starter and the "Gaskets" have green arrows. If you have to move the gear away from the flywheel like I did you will have to use both of them. In addition you will have to install the two round shims in the mount. They hold the bearing in place. Second photo look at the end of the green line and you can see the two round shims installed. The third photo shows the two "Gaskets" (shims in my world) installed.
The directions continue with misinformation as there is no reason to have removed the armature cover and o-ring. After torquing the bolt down (I hope those numbers are okay)
After reinstalling the starter the new clearance was .118. So the next check was for the gear mesh. They called for a pretty small number for clearance .040 +/- .015. I am used to seeing .062 which is easy to check with a 1/16" Allen wrench. There is no good Fractional Allen wrench for .040, but I got luck and found a small metric Allen which I believe was a 1 mm. It was too small to read but passed the caliper check.
There as plenty of clearance so no shims were necessary. The rest was hooking up the battery cable and the solenoid power and then a quick check with the multimeter on ohms to make sure the battery lead was not touching something it shouldn't. Hook up the battery and no arcing or spartking was detected. Turning the key and the engine jumped to life. But man that starter sounds strange. It will take a while to get used to that.

Tonights posting was done to the sounds of Chris Smothers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mKCydD8no
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 07-16-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Forgot link
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote