View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
txagincali

Re: 1969 C50 4x4 Axle Swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
I would also like some clarification on what you posted. Now as far as I know Ford has always been a drivers side drop and the older chevys were passenger side drops, did you just happen to get your wiring backward?
Thank you Pvmt-Pndr, you are spot on with your post. For clarifications sake, my original post on DS or PS drop for the Ford vs Chevy is flipped, thanks for the catch, I'll fix it right now. DMax and Allison are DRIVERS SIDE DROP, along with Ford D60 Front Axles. Older Chevy's are Passenger Side Drop.

The F450/550 gear ratios I've seen available start at 4.30 and go to 4.88's and even higher if I recall correctly. While my tire size will be larger to fit the wheel wells, I still will mostly be using the truck for cruising and camping so I'd like to stay with 3.73's-4.10s for the highway manners, but also for costs since I happen to have both from donors. Also allowing for 8 lug wheels which leaves open any wheel/tire combo imaginable.

And really digging into the D60 setups is where I'd love to hear some opinions. King Pin vs Ball joint strength arguments aside, the reason I was eyeing the 2001-2004 Ford F350 front axles is that they are leaf spring only. I do like the idea of running a coil spring with trailing arms, but I haven't found anyone/anywhere that has made that setup work on a flat and straight beam chassis. When looking at all the chassis of today, they tend to taper inwards the closer to the grill you go. That offset allows for a spring to mount on one side, and the trailing arms to install to the other without interference. On a straight frame, I don't see that working out quite as well without an awkward looking mounting plate or shock tower that sticks way out.

You say you've run that setup before? Have you done it on a C50 or similar chassis? I'd love to hear more about it.
1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote