Thread: 55.2-59 6.0L pros cons
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #21
1project2many

Re: 6.0L pros cons

Quote:
then contact a company that can reflash the ecm and ask if what you want is a possibility and how much etc.
In most cases there is only access to the ecm and tcm. Aftermarket software for BCM and cluster programming is *very* hard to find. Chris White seems to be the go to guy for this service although it looks like he's been working with a diesel tuner BT Diesel Works. GM has also changed the rules slightly so 2019 vehicles will require an additional "pay for" unlock code for the ecm which must be obtained from GM (some aftermarket guys can get it). Since the vehicle is ahead of most aftermarket guys, the person doing the swap may be responsible for finding solutions to problems no one else has experienced.

It's gotten to the point that you have to know the year of your computer, not just the part number, when flashing software. Folks report attempting to program a different model year software into the ecm/tcm can make the computer(s) useless. Folks also report that mismatching engine/trans from different vehicles or across different model years can lead to communications errors. It's even to the point where a VIN mismatch between controllers can require contoller reprogramming.

If the 6.0 were being used with an older 4L80E or with a manual transmission I would lose the 2019 controllers and use a controller from around 2002. With the 6L80E I would probably consider attempting a reflash to an older calibration knowing the engine controller and / or transmission controller may need replacement.

If you choose to go with the 2019 components I am happy to help where I can. Our vehicles are stock cutaway G vans with 14,000 lb gvw chassis and I have some access to programming software. I have yet to read the calibrations for our vans due to the "pay for" unlock code but the simple fact is I should have backup copies of the engine and transmission software in case we ever lose a controller.

Last edited by 1project2many; 12-29-2019 at 10:32 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote