View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #4239
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh1965 View Post
Glad to see you back on it . Repair looks good. Of course I will have to come and inspect it
Of course you will inspect it......

I just hope to pass muster

Another typical holiday start,

Only got out the house by about 11.15 or so.

No regrets though.

So this was today’s task.......

Weld up the small hole to the left once it stopped running away from me, as it was going to be paper thin up to a point.....

Where the point ended up being, that was the question.

Thought I would also just for the sake of illustration for those unfamiliar or not initiated in Mig welding, share a few of my heat sink tools.

And another important tool(s)

The grinder.

I keep three on standby, all differently set up, one with a 1mm cutting disc, one with a 5mm grinding disc, and a flap disc for finishing off.

So back to the patch, I calculated that a 50mm X 50mm patch would cover the weakness and holes.

Keep in mind, this is my very good California door for the passenger side.

It still has work on the inside too, dents and a lace finish of rust on the bottom cup.

So patch ready with a very gentle curve bent into it.

The door bottom corner has sustained some damage before at some point, resulting in a somewhat bent corner, and also some very mild extended dents on the door skin, shown later.

Marked out for cutting, xx and x marks to maintain correct orientation on gentle curve. Note existing dents next to previous weld.

And CUT !!!

Lift

Contrast

Result.

It’s a Boy !!

Part one done,

Coffee time.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote