View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #26
64shortbox

Re: first step of the cross member swap

I had the same dilemma as you about removing the motor or not. I ended up removing the motor & trans because I had some trans leaks I needed to repair - rear seal, shift shaft seal & O ring for the governor cover. I also wanted to replace the rear main seal on the motor and clean up & paint the engine bay.

I really don't see why you couldn't hang the motor from an engine hoist while sliding in the cross member from your donor truck. That's what I was planning if I didn't remove my motor & trans.

Another thought - what I did anyway - As I'm sure you know a few of the bolt holes don't exactly line up on your donor cross member to the frame of your 63. If I remember correctly the cross member mounting bolts are 7/16" - 20. Please double check as I did my swap many years ago. I mounted my cross member with the bolt holes that did line up perfectly then IF and I mean IF it takes a 7/16 - 20 bolt thread size I bought a 25/64" drill bit - ran the drill bit through the existing threaded nuts on the donor member through the frame on my 64 C-10 frame. I then ran a 7/16 - 20 tap through the nuts from the donor member and frame of my 64. I easily ran the bolts through my frame into the donor member. Again please double check my info on the bolt & thread pitch on the cross member mounts. I hope this makes since to you.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote