Thread: electrical help
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Youey

Unhappy electrical help

back in early January had a small electrical problem, left me stranded with no headlights only could hot wire the truck so i could get it off the road and wait for a tow truck to show up. im pretty sure it this is in result of some led headlights that i installed, possibly from the led fans drawing too much power. so i replaced everything that was burnt up fuses, headlight high switch, headlight switch, and the starter but that wasn't in result of the electrical. everything seemed to be going ok after that. the trouble im having right now is everytime i go to turn the key to start the truck i get a fizzle/click coming from the starter solenoid. I replaced both battery cables with larger ones thinking that whatever happened caused maybe the cables to burn up on the inside. that didnt solve the issue. ive jumped out from the harness in engine compartment the purple wire still get same effect. my only guesses is right now is it possible the HEI coil is somehow shorting it out or affecting it not to crank? funny thing is i thought it was the cables because i moved the one going to the starter and truck started perfectly. so confused about what could be the issue, its not like theres a ton of wiring here. my only other guess if that has nothing to do with it, the purple wiring from the accessory going to the starter has some sort of damage to it. which i have not seen and the wiring itself is only about 6 years old. hopefully someone has a clue where for me to look next, thanks for the help! if it helps its a 69 stepside.
Youey is offline   Reply With Quote