View Single Post
Old 03-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #2
rustyrodknocker

Re: 66 GMC long story longer...

In going through my recently recovered pics a thing occured to me. I can peel the registration stickers back and determine when I bought the truck. This actually delighted me. I can make out the October tag in the pics So that is the time of year.
Ill get the tags peeled this week.
Anyhow the truck had Blazer highbacks and console which I liked a lot. Has a B&M floor shifter and 4x4 rally wheels. 3:50 posi also.
The motor was indeed new but the cam was out of time and as I learned later, In the years that the motor layed in the engine compartment with no carb, two cylinders with open intake valves had rusted and pitted.
The motor made outstanding power but burned oil from day one. Eventually choking me out at stoplights. The trans had a shift kit that hit way hard. Too hard for awhile, chirping 2nd regularly. It eased up over time but had the very unique issue of kicking into a false neutral after taking a left hand turn on a cold morning.
No amount of gear selecting would get you moving. It would warm up and engage.
We learned it would only do this once when it was cold and then you were good for the day. We also learned not to rev it when this would happen or you would experience a neck snapping neutral drop. Transmission functions fine in warm weather.
Attached Images

rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote