Thread: 55.2-59 What Am I Missing?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: What Am I Missing?

Did it run and drive before you did this? If so go back over the things you changed to see if you got something out of how it should be.
If it ran ok before it is going to be something that you changed during the tune up or didn't adjust right.

Firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 and pretty hard to get out of order.

Most of the carb kits you get at the parts house these days have an assortment of gaskets for certain spots to fit specific applications and the holes are punched to fit the holes in the body for that application but if you compare gaskets the other ones will have holes in different places or no hole. I found out the hard way years ago that you have match new gaskets to old gaskets to make sure that you have the correct one.

If you changed and set the points did you have the rubbing block on the tip of one of the lobes of the distributor cam when you set the gap. I have no ideal of your skill level or experience but I've probably looked at 40 did a tune up an it won't start or run right rigs in the last 50 something years that the guy who set the points didn't set them right or got the gap wrong. Had a guy once who talked a good game but when he helped me do a quick tune up at the drags before I raced he set the points at .035 same as the plugs. That didn't take long to fix but sure cost him a bunch of car guy credibility.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote