View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #74
AU Doc

Re: "1968 C-10 SWB build - Project Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
I have not heard anyone say that rust encapsulator is compatible with primer. It's best to sandblast or sand the rust off and cover with epoxy primer.

I’d never heard of it used on areas that are intended to be painted, either. But after a little digging, the manufacturer suggests that as a use.

Below is copied from the manufacturer site. These are described as the “best uses” for rust encapsulator. I even called to verify, but I’m skeptical.

Quote:
1. Surface Rust – Encapsulator will easily go over areas of surface rust and stop the rust from spreading. One medium coat usually covers light surface rust.

2. Medium rust – This is rust that is more than just surface or flash rust. It may have started to lightly pit the metal but hasn’t started to affect the rigidity of the metal. Start by wire wheeling or mechanically removing any loose rust and apply 2-3 medium coats to get complete penetration into the rust.

3. Bare metal – Rust encapsulator can be used over bare metal, but I wouldn’t suggest it over an epoxy or etch primer if you ONLY have bare metal to deal with. It can be used to quickly seal bare metal in a pinch to avoid flash rusting as well.

4. Mixed surfaces – Rust Encapsulator is the best rust product to apply over surfaces that might vary in grades of rust, have bare metal or old paint present. If you have an area that you cleaned to bare metal or repaired and there’s still rust around that area, I’d suggest Rust Encapsulator.
AU Doc is offline   Reply With Quote