View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: Turn Signal Switch/Column ID

That is some good info there.

Side note: if you are swapping donor pieces around the tilt ignition switch and non tilt ignition switch down on the column work backwards from each other. They fasten on the column and hook up to the plug but work different.

I took a few photos this morning of an old tilt that I had in the shed. I think it must be one of those (might need a part off it" ones that I kept when I threw a bunch on a load of scrap a while back.

First shot, junky old tilt out of the shed, note the protective plastic sleeve that holds the wires flat and keeps them from chafing is still in place.

Second shot: sleeve is pulled off and out of the way, this one had the old style cruise control turn signal handle. Keeping that tucked away.

Third shot: This is how I make things simpler, I tie a piece of wire (you could use string or heavy fishing line) to the wires and plug to pull the plug Through the collar. This keeps the plug tight up against and in line with the wires and it slips though the rather tight passage easier. I fasten it to the other end to be able to hold the plug straight and then leave the wire in the column to pull the new harness plug back though the column rather than trying to stab it from the top.

When you put it back make sure that the switch and wires and plug are oriented right so the wires and plugs are aimed in the direction that they need to be in. It is near impossible to flip the wires over if you happen to put them in with the plug facing the wrong way.

Fourth shot, Harness and plug are out or ready to go back in how ever you look at it.

Make sure that you have the tilt in the straight out position and not tilted. Nothing wants to go though if it is tilted. You can see that the column was in tilt up position in the first photo.

I've always used what ever skinny wire that I have laying around this being .025 Mig wire but if you have some good strong fish line that might work pretty good.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote