View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Black66C20

Re: Hi Y'all - New Member, Old 8 Lug Restomod

And now to bring us up to present - almost 2 years after I bought it. I had always planned to swap the wheels and tires and didn't know exactly what I wanted to aim for. I decided I wanted to stay with an 8 lug, though, no matter how crazy I got with this build. I did a lot of searching and a lot of comparing and ended up with some wheel vintiques. I went with 16x6 in black for the front and 16x10 in black for the rear. I kept the 235/85r16 wheels for the fronts but I wanted to give the truck a hot rod appearance with some meaty rear tires...so I ended up with 305/70r16 on the rear. That's about a 32x9 front and 33x12 rear, which is admittedly large, but also I thought would get the job done. In the meantime, I also decided I would eventually do a front end and rear end swap on the truck to gain disc brakes up front, power steering, power brakes, overall updated front steering/suspension and better rear end gearing ratio options...after A LOT of searching, patience and deciphering, I think I found the solution...a 1988 2wd Suburban 2500 rolling chassis from TX in great shape..I got it for a great price and should be able to steal the front crossmember and the rear end. The added 3/4" width for the front is not going to be an issue and I will be in touch with CaptainFab for some conversion brackets...but the rear I think may present an issue as I would like to keep the trailing arm / coil rear suspension...

More to follow on wheels and thoughts on the front/rear end conversion...
Attached Images

Black66C20 is offline   Reply With Quote