Thread: 47-55.1 Rebuilt 235 IL6 cost?
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Rebuilt 235 IL6 cost?

It sounds pretty high but I don't know the labor rates.

I don't know what mods you want either.

My computer isn't getting along with Napa online today but the prices that they quote online for a store in your area should be the full list price that a shop charges you for the part. The Napa website doesn't show discounts.

If he is supplying the core that may add a lot of cost over you supplying a good core. All the sudden that old 235 that Mick53 or I would give you to haul off and so it doesn't go to scrap becomes a "valuable" core engine. Same with the flywheel and transmission. If you have the complete unit to rebuild you probably save quite a bit over him supplying those units.

I'm out of the loop on labor costs for machine shops locally. The cost to have valves ground or the crank turned or the block bored. Still a 235 is not a "rare and exotic" engine that requires a lot of tedious hours to do extremely precise work. It is an engine that requires high quality work but that is very basic and simple in comparison.

The only additional work that should be done is adding hard valve seats to handle today's gas. Other than that it is all the most basic automotive machine shop work you will see. Still a lot of steps but a simple six cylinder valve job, a simple six cylinder bore job and grinding the crank isn't a big deal for the guy who grinds cranks every day of the week. Cam shaft is probably a quality oem style cam that runs around 100 most of the time unless you want a hot cam.

If you are asking for or getting extra services such as porting the head, balancing the rotating parts or getting performance parts as part of the deal such as cast headers or an aluminum multi carb intake that may jack the price a bunch.

To my way of thinking you are looking at under 1000 in parts using the best available and around 4K in labor with that guy. Labor rates in that shop may eat up 4 K pretty fast though. I've seen quotes as high as 150 an hour in some areas of the country with the cost of doing business in that area contributing to a lot of that rate.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote