View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 01:02 AM   #1098
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: post up your camping pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Just curious ... does a Blazer with a pop-up give you all that much off-road advantage over an eight foot bed pickup ?
I think it does. Between the shorter turning radius and shorter body I can still sneak through stuff the guys running with us in the Power Wagon's with Four Wheel Campers had to take completely different lines for. I could hook some switchbacks in one shot where Larry and the longer Dodge/Rams had to take multi-point turns.

The only guys that could out maneuver me and Ian's K5's were the two Toyota's that were with us on the trip. Everybody else running longer trucks had issues when the trail got tight.

With as many times as Larry and I have gone out together I've always been able to get through tight stuff easier even though a K10 regular cab short box isn't that much longer than a K5.

Where the short wheelbase killed me was in the dry river washes we were in quite a bit last week. Some had just the right frequency and amplitude in the washboards that the shorter wheelbase K5's were getting beat up. The longer trucks just ate the washboard better.

Like anything else there is more than one way to get the job done. I'm biased obviously because I love my K5. But the longer stuff has advantages in other areas.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote