Thread: 47-55.1 Rebuilt 235 IL6 cost?
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #13
vintovka

Re: Rebuilt 235 IL6 cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDude View Post
Thanks to all that replied. Specifically, I bought a 54 Chevy Deluxe 3100 off of ebay needing restoration. It came mostly complete. The crusty froze-up 235 engine was determined junk by my shop guy. I pulled it out and also plan on installing the rebuilt one. He already had a rebuilt trans that he would include. He quoted $300 for that.
The bottom line is that he wants to charge $2600 in parts and $2500 labor for a fully running engine.
The twist here is that there was no written estimate or any other witten document that I signed off on. When he told me the engine was ready at his builder's location and the price would be $2600, he cleverly did not say plus labor. He has my $2600 and I am currently in dispute with him on the labor.
Wow. A complete estimate (in writing) parts and labor are an essential part of any contract for work. One could argue he stole your engine if he does not have written proof you gave it to him. To me Giving $ in advance of work/completion is a clear sign of a potential rip off. I know several who have fallen for this BS and spent far in excess of original loss trying to recoup in court.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote