View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #84
Classic v6 GMC's

Re: Came across this...

So I purchased all the parts to give the truck oil change and tune up. After sitting for almost 40 years I figured it would need a new distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, plug wires and spark plugs. Started by spraying down the engine with degreaser and rinsing it off. Looks better.
Next up I pulled the oil plug and out came what looks like brand new Lucas or a mix of it and STP. Wish I would have drained it into a cleaner pan so I could get a picture of just how clean it was. Very intrigued, I pulled the old rotten belden plug wires and the spark plugs. All the plugs are clean with good plug gaps but I went ahead and put in the set of new AC Delco plugs. Pulled the distributor cap and inside looked like brand new, the distributor cap is an original delco. Put the cap back on and installed the new plug wires. Installed a new oil filter and filled it up with new oil and a can of CD2 oil additive (more on oils/additives in a future post). Set a good battery in and hooked up the cables. I ran a fuel line from a gas can tothe fuel pump and time for the moment of truth.
Cranked the truck over a couple times and then poured a little gas down the carb and she fired up and ran for almost 10 seconds. Poured some more fuel in the carb and she ran for 10 more. And then the fuel pump started leaking so pulled the fuel line and hooked up my little electric fuel pump and turned it on. Poured some more gas down the carb and she fired right up and runs great! Let her run for close to 3 minutes and she idles perfect and is a smooth as any of the engines we have rebuilt. Honestly I never thought it would run that good!
Attached Images

1966 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Custom PB 305 v6 np435
1960 GMC Custom
1968 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Short Bed
1962 K20 Tow truck
1961 GMC Extended Suburban Panel and a few more
Classic v6 GMC's is offline   Reply With Quote