View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #12
cwcarpenter98

Re: Project '65 - The "build" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I've tried welding twice in my life.

The first time was in shop class in high school. Something was grounded wrong and when I TOUCHED the steel bench...it shocked the bejeezus out of me! Ended up knocking me on my rear...bruising me and my ego.

The second time was welding a ramp brace on a trailer. The ramp on the other side fell while my leg was under it resulting in a tib/fib fracture.

For many years I have said that I'm not meant to be a welder...but I think it's time to stop being silly and (safely) learn how to weld!

Aside from that, your build has been pretty inspirational to me. I plan to attack mine in a somewhat similar manner.
3rd time's the charm! I watched a bunch of youtube videos about it, and one of my friends who learned to weld at his college also taught me. The key is to start with scrap metal and just weld on it. Practice, practice, practice.

On the doors you just picked up, if the handle pocket ends up needing to be replaced, you might be able to just cut out and weld in the ones from your damaged doors

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote