Thread: 47-55.1 ac kits
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
joedoh

Re: ac kits

you need to be careful, most aftermarket HVAC (really HAC because I havent seen many with a fresh air option) systems have the evaporator and the heater core in the same air pathway, but GM V8 engines arent made to have the heater lines turned on and off.

On GM engines since around 1991, the heater core and AC evap were in different air pathways, there was always flow through the heater core but the airflow was directed around it. if the heater core and evap are in the same air pathway, you would end up with warm dry air instead of cold air.

what that means is, if the HVAC system comes with a vacuum or mechanical heater line valve, when you shut it off (during AC operation) air will collect in the line and the suction line of the heater will keep trying to pull. on older engines the heater line was a secondary loop and could be shut off without problems.

why GM did this is speculation on my part, maybe they saw heater cores rotting out faster in warmer climates (from disuse) or maybe adding that extra couple quarts of coolant to the system was beneficial, or maybe the reverse flow system worked better with the unblocked lines, who really knows though.

you will need to replace the shut off valve with a BYPASS valve, they are about $100, and it will divert the flow to the suction line, without passing through the heater core.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote