View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 10:56 PM   #694
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

First off big Hurrah for djeCST and his thread on turn signal switches!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=711090

Yesterday I noticed the turn signal lever seemed kinda floppy and vague. Well today it was loose enough to start randomly honking the horn. I had to pull over and unplug the horn relay just to get home safely. With all the disgruntlement in Portland these days one doesn't want your horn honking randomly.
My first thought was the screw had backed off, which was partially true. It had gotten loose but, it was because the threads had pulled out. (Photo #1)
I have to apologize for not getting photos from start to finish on this little repair. But I have harvested some from djeCST's thread and others. Hopefully they don't mind?

I used djeCST's thread to figure out how to disassemble the switch from the housing.

So the turn signal cam pivots on a pot metal pin. (Photo #2 & 3 blue circles) The end of that pin is threaded and the screw that secures the signal lever in place goes there. To repair this I cleaned the hole out and filled it with JB Weld (Did you know a farmer in Iowa fixed a tractor block with JB Weld?) Once it had hardened I filled it smooth (Photo #4) and drilled and tapped it for an 8-32 screw.
The screw that was in mine was the black self tapping one. (Photo #5) I have no idea if it is the correct screw. Although it look like the one in the photo I found. I replaced it with a regular screw with a square end and used a bottom tap to get more threads to the bottom of the hole. All this was iin hopes that with more threads it won't pull out again, or won't pull out before I find a bad switch with a good pin. I also considered drilling oversize and tapping it for a 10-32 screw but the wall thickness would not be very much and I would also have to oversize the hole in the cam and the lever too.
While I had the wheel off I greased the upper bearing and cleaned and lined the switch. It is amazing how much dirt and debris gets inside of the housing.
Once back together the switch works so much smoother than before and it doesn't honk either.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote