Old 08-19-2020, 01:07 PM   #12
SCOTI

Re: Spindle Tie Rod End Inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Would either of these be useful?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-...olt,41058.html

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjus...ku=91636055-GM

The second one seems like a good solution.
Technically, they 'could' work for someone in a somewhat similar application. The issue @ hand is the CPP Modular spindles TRE hole is not exactly "exact". A factory GM truck TRE drops into the hole but has more play vs. an OE spindle. When I did my 1st Dropmember, I used Western Chassis spindles & drilled the TRE hole to the requisite 5/8" dimension for the heims (#4 5/8" x 3/6-16L).

For these CPP/Modular spindles I have, the 'minor' side of the hole is already slightly larger than 5/8". That nixes the ability to simply drill the hole out as it's already too large. Nathan said it's not the first time he's heard of this issue. His recommendation was to drill it out w/a larger diameter & use a spacer/insert for the 5/8 bolt.

The stock 1/2 ton TRE (#1 Moog ES409R) Doesn't fit properly & is way too long for my app (DM, Narrowed arms, modular spindle). Yes it could be cut down shorter but the casting is too large to thread any deeper w/o machining it.

I tried/tested a TRE similar to the 1/2 ton truck unit (#2 Moog ES392R). It's 'listed' dimensions indicated it would be slightly fatter @ both the minor/major portions of the stud & be longer. What I have was none of the above. Minor/major dimensions were same or slightly under & the stud length was ~.625" shorter. That shorter length would decrease the grease-boot height/capacity & yield tighter dimensions between the TRE pad on the spindle & the TRE as you move it up/down (it would make contact sooner than a stock TRE would).

My 3rd tested option is a TRE for a 1-ton GM 4wd (#3 ES2234R). It has a shorter shank vs. the 1/2 ton TRE & the shank is threaded all the way to the studs 'housing'. The down side is the shank is 7/8-18 thread. The stud is slightly larger (fatter) vs. the 1/2 ton - 1-ton 2wd TRE's but easily dropped into the TRE opening of the modular spindle. I would have to ream the tapered opening to go this route.

That's where I am @ this time. I'm waiting to hear from a buddy to see if any techs @ his shop have a tapered reamer (this size is expensive).

If I can get one, I'm going to try reaming the TRE hole first so I can use a actual spec'd TRE vs. a heim. If I don't like the fit of the 1-ton TRE set-up, nothing is lost as the hole gets drilled larger anyway to fit an insert for the 5/8" bolt needed for the heim.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote