Thread: Contact pattern
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
Dleslie212

Re: Contact pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Give us a pic
I’ll snap and post a few tonight after work. Hopefully it’s good. I tried heating up my pinion bearing in the oven and dropping it onto the pinion. I must have not had it hot enough, because it barely slid on and then instantly got stuck, so now I can’t slide the pinion back into place to get pics of the pattern. I have it sitting next to me in my work truck so I can drop it at a machine shop this morning to have it pressed the rest of the way on.

Whie I’m here - I bought a crush sleeve eliminator kit, and my install kit came with a standard crush sleeve as well. I’m leaning towards using the eliminator kit, but can’t really find any decent instructions on how to install it. Do I just torque the pinion nut to a certain setting with a certain shim, check bearing preload, and rinse and repeat till I have about 20 inch pounds? What torque should the pinion nut be set to?

Edit - after a little reading, I think I may have screwed up. I did all my shimming and checking contact patterns with my old crush sleeve in place. Is that a mistake? I’m thinking it doesn’t change the pinion depth, so it should be fine?

Last edited by Dleslie212; 08-24-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Dleslie212 is offline   Reply With Quote