View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
IRQVET

Re: What does it really take to paint a truck?

As a former commercial aircraft painter, I'll give you things to think about and hype to be avoided:

1. Air Compressor- Don't let anyone tell you- you need a large air compressor (60 gallon plus/ dual stage). Although its nice to have, a DIY garage paint job can be done with a 10 gallon/ 2hp air compressor. I've painted several cars and trucks using one with zero issues. (Just don't buy fast activator, and you'll have all the time in the world to lay down paint) and wait to have your compressor catch up. 90% of the time, with a HVLP gun, those little compressors will suprise you.

2. Prep is key. Think 69% prep, 30% clean environment (and work piece), and 1% paint.

3. Tempature and humidity can kill any attempt at a good paint job. So that might mean laying down paint during odd hours if you live in an area where the temps get crazy.

4. Don't buy an expensive gun, those Habor Freight Purple guns work fine. Just buy more than one so you can rotate around. They are so cheap, I use them as disposable. Use them once, and chunk them.

5. An oil/water separator on your compressor will be your best friend, so invest!

6. Practice with your new gun on a cardboard box BEFORE painting a vehicle. You'll get practice with your fan pattern and painting multiple surfaces (horizontal/ vertical). The sweet spot on those HF gun is wide open, then back off a quarter turn. Seems to be the sweet spot every time in my experience with them.

7. Read the label on your paint and adhere to mix ratio's and fash times. Don't eye ball or rambo anything if your new to painting. I've seen ego's mess up more paint jobs than I'd like to admit.

8. I've painted in professional booths, aircaft hangers, garages, and even driveways. Gotten excellent results no matter where I painted. Although its a skill, the stuff ain't rocket science. The fact that your asking the right questions and taking your time will pay off later.

9. Dupont or Eastwood paint products are very forgiving if your a novice.

Being an aircraft painter I'll leave out any advice on bodywork. All we did was pop rivet and replace sheet metal, and very small amouts of body filler (couldn't use a ton because of the weight) so a traditional autobody guy could give you way better advice than I can.

Last edited by IRQVET; 12-03-2020 at 07:49 PM.
IRQVET is offline   Reply With Quote