View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 AM   #856
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: My Big Fat Renovation

Yes, it sucks, but at least it's a manageable fix. I'll see if I can separate it out and use one color for the other long side and the other for the front/back, or whatever. Again, the difference is really subtle, and I only noticed it looking down the side in shade, so it's super close, but the darker backing makes the overall piece just a touch darker than the lighter backing.

We've been pretty lucky here, my house had old, brittle siding on it and with the 4 hail storms we've been hit with since 2009, one lasting for almost an hour with quarter size hail in 2016, only one piece ever had a crack in it. You want to talk about a feeling of defeat... I watched my C10 and 1 year old silverado get hammered for that hour. The C10 came out fine, with only my trim getting destroyed. Big blue ended up getting $4500 in PDR. State Farm wanted to replace panels and cut the roof off... no... I "know a guy."

This new stuff is above builder grade. It's "softer" and supposed to be more hail resistant. They actually made stuff a little thicker, but the siding guy recommended I not use it as it seemed to crack easier in this area from hail.

I have 300 SF I saved from the house (bought an extra box on purpose plus what was left over) and I plan on having at least one extra box for the garage. As long as you replace an entire row, the color blends in better. Now 15+ years from now.... eh... it's probably going to be faded anyway.

I'm just happy to finally have "something" done.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote