View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 11:14 AM   #47
stinsonj

Re: '51 Build w/4bt Cummins

Never thought this would turn in to such a long drawn out project but I guess that's how these things generally go.

Was able to find an NV4500 transmission out of a '96 Dodge Ram 2500 about 45 min from out home for a really good deal (thank you Facebook Market place). Included was everything needed to install the transmission into the truck (bell housing, clutch fork, hydraulics, shift boot, etc.). We have since mated the trans to the motor after replacing the throw-out bearing and luckily enough, everything lined up.

With the cab bolted to the frame, I began the process of engineering motor mounts. I originally was going to build new bracketry but quickly realized the mounts used from the 4Bt's previous application were still mounted to the block which made things substantially easier. All I had to do at that point was build brackets to weld to the frame that would accept the liquid mounts i had purchased years ago.

After installing and removing the motor multiple times to figure out the exact placement including making a few more cuts to the firewall and floor, I finally had the motor where I wanted it and began to weld in the brackets i had fabricated earlier. This week I will paint the brackets, remove more of the old transmission cross member, and install the motor hopefully for the last time.

Once in its final resting place, I will fabricate a new transmission support, likely out of 4"x2" square tubing if i can find some around here.
stinsonj is offline   Reply With Quote