View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Ditto for anyone from Indonesia wanting to make the purchase and put it on a credit card! My brother-in-law had his '90 Harley on Ebay. A "buyer" in Indonesia wanted to put the purchase and shipping charges on his credit card, after hitting the "Buy it Now" button. Bro did some investigation and was informed that a large business exists in Indonesia in stolen credit card numbers.

Back in the early '80's, there was a thing called "Car Locators". They "sold" the rights to others for $100. Sounded like a good thing to me, and I bought into it. I don't know if I ever made back my investment...but, don't think I did. Had one person contact me who was looking for a Cadillac that essentially had a good title...didn't matter the condition of the car. I spoke with a friend who ran a wrecker service. He told me that all they were looking for was another vehicle that they could use to legitimize a stolen one that they had.

This "Car Locators" was a clearing house of sorts. If you had a vehicle to sell, they would put out a list (monthly) of cars for sale and cars that were wanted, with phone numbers, addresses, and names. You had to pay a listing fee, but potential buyers got a free shot.

Auto Traders, eBay, etc., have far more resources and are a much better way to perform the same type of deals. I don't miss the hassle of being a "Car Locator".

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote