View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

I lengthened the Step Brackets by adding a 4" length of 2x4" box tubing, with one end cut off. I then transposed the mounting holes 4" down.

I also fully welded the bottom "stand" of the bed brace since I want to hide the bed mounting bolts. These are merely spot welded from the factory, as the whole shebang is clamped down by carriage bolts - but I don't want that.

The step was shortened by removing the box brace underneath, and I cut 14.5" out, removing some stress-fractured holes.

The undercoating was wire-wheeled off (knotted wheel on an angle-grinder), and the step was clamped to my welding table (1/2" plate steel), washed with lacquer thinner and TIG welded with zero filler (though I kept a length of 0.023" MIG wire in my hand for the three spots that needed it).

I went TIG on this, because TIG welds are so much more malleable than MIG welded, and if I needed to correct any misalignment of the "beads" I wanted it to be easy. MIG tends to crack as you beat on it. I went -against- Oxy-Acetylene, as I'm finding it harder to work with such a large Heat Affected Zone. With TIG I set it on pulse to keep the heat down.

Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate

Last edited by SkinnyG; 12-30-2020 at 06:05 PM.
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote