View Single Post
Old 01-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #69
gigamanx

Re: New Project 57 Chevy panel on 78 chevy frame

After doing some floor pans and a four link kit in the 49 along with some significant body work on the Model A, I'd say I'm one step above amateur haha.

Using a 220v MIG welder with gas was a game changer. It gave me far more control and confidence in my welds. Especially when it came to doing the 4 link. I'd recommend the Hobart 190 every day of the week. Still a great workhorse and I currently use 0.30 for pretty much everything.

An inexpensive 4 1/2" grinder with some flap discs will speed up the clean up process immensely. My restoration buddy said the difference between an expert welder and an amateur welder is in how much time they use a grinder haha.

I like the use of those sheet metal clamps, but use WAY more of them and move them around the piece. Aim to spot weld only about an inch from the clamp so the panel is perfectly level.

Spot welding to keep the metal cool. They almost look like drops as opposed to laying a bead

First pass clean up with flap disk. You can see a few edges left behind so I go back and add a few spots at the lowest setting on the welder.

Second pass with flap disk you can barely see where the weld seam is. Skim coat of bondo before paint and you'll never know it was there.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote