View Single Post
Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 AM   #64
stickshift_or_walk
Left Foot Functioning

I was six years old when Dad brought the brand-spankin' new '68 C10 LWB home from the dealer. Light blue with the white roof. I wanted it then, but couldn't reach the pedals.

A month or so later, he had it outfitted with the cabover camper and we headed west. So all of my memories of the best family trips to the Grand Canyon, Rockies, etc. have that truck in the background. We took a trip every year until he discovered hotels and we started going in cars.

It had the 307 V8, overload springs, and dealer-installed air. The only thing wrong with it (my opinion) was the slushbox, but it was a TH400, so I really couldn't complain about that. Anyway, these days I know how to fix that problem .

He sold it before I got to high school, but it was too late, I was already hooked. Everything from '73 up just looks like a cookie-cutter truck to me. So when I got out of the Army and settled down a bit, it wasn't long before I bought my '72, then my oldest boy's '69 (when he was 10), and now I'm eyeballing another '70 that's for sale down the street for my youngest son.

Yep, I'm hooked...SSOW
69 C10 (#1 son's ride)
72 C20 (Dad's farm truck)
82 K30 (Ex - brush pumper project)
stickshift_or_walk is offline   Reply With Quote