View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #168
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Digging deeper into the roof rust. This is looking from the inside over the door top.

I cut out a section over the door to see inside better...

Not good, so I started cutting the roof off. I trimmed right above the seam across the back of the cab to make easy access to the inner spot welds.

I cut higher up on the sides, this shows the layers as they are when the roof is assembled- nowhere for condensation to escape between the inner and outer layers, and once the seam sealer degrades water comes in and gets between the layers.

After cutting the spot welds loose from the driprail. This wasn't far away from coming through.

The driprail flange was also in rough shape so I drilled out those spot welds and removed the drip rails down the sides.

Driprails removed, ready for blasting and epoxy.

I never liked the crimped on joint cover connecting the front and side pieces, so I cut though it when I separated the side driprails from the front. There was rust under the outer corners of the front driprail so I cut those out too. I'm going to check out a free parts truck tomorrow about 45 min away, hopefully the roof skin is straight enough to use. I'm not too worried about rust in the seams like this one had, it'll be easy to replace the flat sides since they're easy to fab, and it needs to come apart like this one to get at all the inner rust between layers.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote