View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #774
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: 1971 Stepside LS Build

I have been fiddling with the horn for several weeks and each time I end up getting frustrated and moving on to something else. It was wired correctly, with all new wires, the horns test out ok, but I just couldn't get the button to work.

I enlisted some help (TAC10 and Beaterku) on what they thought and between the two of them I was able to isolate it down to something in the column. So, I pulled the wheel off and began digging the turn signal switch out to see if I had a bad wire. After getting the switch out I found the white wire (brake) had a spot on it, but that didn't solve the horn issue. I finally decided that the new switch was either bad or had been messed up on install and needed to be replaced. So, I decided to put it semi back in place until I could get a new one. As I was pulling the wires back snug from under the column the horn went off (insert mild heart attack). Hmmmm, long story short I discovered this little tab on the back of the horn ground extended past the plastic and was coming into contact with the column shaft. I corrected the tab and adjusted the switch to sit a little further to the side there and boom....we have a horn!!! Now to figure out why the steering wheel won't sit closer to the column.

We should now be able to get a license inspection.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote