Thread: 1961 Viking
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 10:07 PM   #25
HeloCrewChief

Re: 1961 Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick121 View Post
This reminded me of a guy’s personal page I found where he describes overhauling his ‘64 C60 hydrovac booster himself. He used Reman Inc. for brake parts. Check it out here http://www.chevyc60.com/bendix_hydrovac_overhaul.htm
If you are a DIY guy it might be a cool project and his turned out really great. His restoration site is full of info even though it’s a ‘64 you will find plenty to work with for your ‘61
PS love the sticker, I’m a retired Firefighter and I remember barcode stickers on every piece of equipment for tracking asset location, maintenance records, etc you should definitely keep that sticker in place after restoring!
Thank you for all the information. I did read about pressure bleeding them on another website but, the guys seemed to have an issue getting a seal on the master cylinder with the pressure bleeders that are currently available. I may order one up and see if I can make it work. Agreed on the sticker. It will stay in place I think that is a government thing in general to barcode every piece of equipment for inventory. I wonder when the truck came out of service? I was told it was the Bend, Oregon Fire Department. I may contact them and see if they have any information on it. I appreciate good patina just as much as the next guy but, the truck has had 1 repaint (obviously a very long time ago) and it is flaking off in pretty big pieces to the primer underneath. It looks like a gray or white primer over the original paint and then another coat of red. There are also bare spots of metal that are starting to surface rust so, instead of preserving what is there I think it is in this trucks best interest to get a fresh coat of paint. Also, my wife would probably hate it less!
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote