Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 12:07 AM   #725
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Aside from two issues with Frankentruck, today was great! Got to look at a ton of cool trucks, see some good friends I haven't seen in awhile, and source another patch panel to fix up Frankentruck's rust.

I'm not sure how many trucks were at the C10 Club GA meet, but it seems like somewhere close to 100. There was a great variety of original paint, great patina, and beautifully restored trucks. As the show was winding down, I was helping Woody (Southernparts) pack up some of the stuff he brought to sell. A guy said that he had a rough 60 that might still have some useable parts on it. We went to check it out and man, it was toast. Must have been wrecked and rolled over. I totally forgot to take a pic of the truck though. There wasn't much left, but I grabbed the radio delete plate, passenger door lock cylinder and cut the back half of the passenger fender off. The top flange where it bolts to the inner fender on Frankentruck is rusted out pretty bad, but this truck wasn't rusty in that spot. One of the few spots that wasn't rusty Now I've got a patch panel that I don't have to make myself!

If you've driven up or down 441 between Athens and Cleveland, then you might have seen the truck in the last picture. It's a 66. I believe a C30 because of how long the frame is. It has been sitting there for around 30+ years. Ran and drove when parked. Was parked because the tire was flat. It looks like the front sheet metal had been replaced with 60-61 pieces because of how the hood hinge springs mount and it had a 60-62 radiator and fan shroud. I wanted to buy some parts off it, but unfortunately the owner doesn't want to part it out. The cab might be useable, but the front sheet metal is pretty much toast. If I had a place to put it, I probably would have bought it!

The two issues: Overdrive fuse popped again on the way up. The overdrive started to engage, then the fuse blew and that was it. I threw in a new fuse before heading back home, and it popped just a few miles after I turned the overdrive back on. I might swap out the solenoid with the spare one I have and see if that's part of the problem.
The second issue is that the transmission is now popping out of third gear. It did it a couple times last weekend while pulling the trailer. Today, unloaded, it popped out on the way home 6 different times.
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote