View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #2953
Killer Bee

Re: My Facetruck thread.

well looks like facetruck could use a boost for this week

recently cel on in my 02 gmc 196k miles and started noticing idle stumble and difficulty starting, fast cranking, no fire and occasional backfire..

better investigate - found codes for evap purge 446 & 1441 and cmp (cam position sensor) 343

purge valve can affect idle quality and starting and super easy to replace so picked one up saturday on my way home form work at a local dealer $52.69..

didn't feel like driving over an hour round trip the other way to save a few percent..

checked the valve when I got home and it was bad, not excessive, but passing slightly with 0 input..

replaced it and pretty much what I expected - evap codes gone but cmp code returned and very difficult starting

drove the longhorn to church sunday (Mrs. Bee takes kids to early class), kids got a kick out of riding home with me tho

of course on sunday couldn't find a delco cam sensor anywhere and really didn't want part store chinesium so decided to wait till monday..

drove the longhorn to work monday morning (day shift yesterday) and figured I'd pick one up on the way home..

great plan except no one had it nearby.. closest dealer to work Win offered $107 had to order and the dealer we buy from at work offered $77 but also had to order..

but he did give me some leads where it was in stock and I started calling.. Connell supposed to have it but no, glad I called and finally FMP in fullerton had 17 of them

but it gets better, their price was only $38.91

they are quite a ways from work and lots of traffic by the time I was planning to leave so the lovely Mrs Bee had a break in her day and was kind enough to pick it up for me

but lo and behold, she reports..... you guessed it made in china

oh well, we tried.. it is a genuine delco so I suppose the best chance I have..

so this morning after dropping the kids off at school and nice warm morning in the driveway, I replaced the sensor..

kinda difficult for old fat guys to get to, and not sure what all those sharp plastic protrusions on the intake are for, other than extracting my dna but I got it done in a few minutes..

light cleared, starts great, idles great, test drive pass