View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #5
epfatboy

Re: Just double checking....

Thanks for all the replies.

The battery was load tested and was on a trickle charger all winter so I'll focus on a few other simple things.

It's frigging cold here today so I'll put the truck up on jackstands in the garage and start pulling the cables off and cleaning them one more time, it's 15-20 minutes so why not give it one more try. I've been bitten by a bad grounds and dirty contacts in the past so I'd like to think I put them together better than that now but a few adult beverages have a way of screwing up everything.

This is where I think I'm gonna land
"There are a set of contacts in the solenoid that switch in battery power to the starter. If those are shot, could also cause your problems."
Those contacts could cause a no and low supply to the starter, in my own little head it sort of explains why a few clicks would eventually make a solid contact.

Really wish I could get to this point, good old skool diagnosis right there!
"Next time it happens, have someone turn the key to start and knock on the starter with a hammer."

I guess I could cross up the Ign/Batt too with a screw driver, if the above noid/contact is the problem I should still get a click or drag. The problem is I might get 1 click and then it starts fine 20 times after that or I might get 5 clicks....

I'll keep you all posted, thanks again.
epfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote