View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 09:14 PM   #1688
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: A '54 named Busty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
notice how the male p[art of the spade connector has a hole in it? there are good-better-best female connectors to fit different styles of the male connectors. this style needs to have a female terminal with a bump in the middle to match the hole in the terminal on the speedo. I try to buy the non insulated terminals for most stuff because then I can place the crimp on the opposite side of the terminal where the barrel parts come together (usually) so the crimp usually has a better chance of not deforming plus I can see the crimp and know exactly what my crimp looks like. then I shrink tube over the wire and the terminal but shrink less on the terminal part so it just has some insulation on it and won't short out. if you need to daisy chain the wiring then you can also use a terminal with a larger wire gauge size and put 2 wires into one terminal OR crimp on a terminal with a piggy back connector. knowing there is then twice the chance of a problem....some of the spade connectors don't have the bump to hold them onto the male terminal so they rely totally on friction from the sides. on the back of a speedo there may not be as much pull on the wiring as compared to, say, a light on the outside of a truck or trailer. some of the "new" wiring connections are great for being sealed but not so great for close quarters.
here is a site with some terminals where you can see the bump in the female side. these guys sell all kinds of wiring stuff so you can peruse to find something you need and buy online or take the name/part number and try napa.
Sherco Automotive & Marine Supplies
Part Number : QDF8-250-1000
good stuff, thank you
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote