View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #1567
youngrodder

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

TIP..

I always received compliments on my 48 truck with how nicely the hood fit, especially on the sides in the back. Over time these AD hood fatten out (de-arch) across the back there they meet the cowl which in turn causes the sides to bow out.

On thing I did on my 48 and I just did it again on my 53 Suburban was re-arch the hood.

Steps: (sorry all of these pics are after pics)
* Remove the plate that is in the middle of the rear support. This lets you bring in the rear sides of the hood easily.

* Using a tow strap (running side to side) and pull in the sides of the hood to create a nice arch of the metal hood skin. Don't go crazy with tension. You will get an idea of where the hood feels best.

* Tighten the plate.

* Clean the gap between the hood metal skin and the brace with a wire wheel (that's what worked best for me). Wipe down area with lacquer thinner.

* Apply a nice bead your favorite panel bond (this is what I used) in the gap between the brace and hood skin. It is about $60.00 for a tube of what I used.

* Use a couple additional straps going forward from the back edge of the hood to help close the gap between the hood skin and the brace. I also use two landscaping pavers across the brace to make sure the gap between the brace and hood skin closed up.

* Let the panel bond cure (in this case I waited 24hrs). Once I removed my straps my hood kept the arch.

Maybe others know about this, I just see a lot of poorly fitting AD hoods so I thought to mention it. I'm less picky with my 53 so I will not go back and body work to make it perfect like we did with my 48.

I will be respraying Raptor liner on the back of the hood. There was some already that looks factory/old? on there and a big section flaked off so I will respray this weekend to make it all uniform.

Marc
Attached Images

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote