View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 11:44 AM   #20
custom10nut

Re: Factory thermostat, really 195º?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
I'm not happy about seeing my factory temp gauge going very near all the way to the right

I have never driven this truck, it's been in running condition in my driveway since I took it off of a trailer. I have been doing general maintenance to get it drivable.
I replaced the thermostat for the fun of it, a 160º unit came out of the engine. I figured I try and see how it runs with a factory 195º unit so that's what I installed.
I also installed a different thermo housing with two pipe plug holes in it, and in one hole installed a working mechanical gauge.

I ran the truck and the mechanical gauge wasn't barely budging, the top rad hose was not as hot as it should be, however the factory temp gauge was almost all the way over to the right; I'd consider that overheating.

I took the new 195º thermo out and tested in pan of water and it started opening close enough to 195

I put the old 160 back in it and ran it, the mechanical gauge went to maybe 170 sitting still at idle, and the factory gauge was barely at the warm up point on the left side of the gauge.

Are these trucks really meant to run with 195 thermos? I think 160 is too cold and am considering a 180º, but I felt like I was about to seriously overheat a truck I barely just got.....and I DONT wanna do that.
I can't imagine that the factory set thermostat temp would allow the factory gauge to get almost all the way to HOT before it begins to circulate the coolant.
Every thread I read about "correct running temps/thermo" has guys saying they run mostly 195's and they are absolutely happy about it.

Based on my testing I have no reason to believe the factory temp gauge/sender are malfunctioning.
I was wrestling with this issue for a while. Everything was fine in the system until my son flushed it out in his Automotive Class, and then it started “Reading Hot” all the time, but never overheated. After replacing all components of the cooling system (thermostat, water pump, and sending unit. The radiator was recently replaced.), I then suspected the gauge, which is original.
Just recently, I took the old girl out on a Trash Run and everything is back to normal. It’s fixed, but I don’t know for sure what caused the issue, since I replaced all the possible cause at once.
In accordance with the Factory Manual, the 195 degree thermostat is “Stock”. That’s just when the engine is up to that prescribed temp. I know my engine is Cold Blooded and is just sluggish when it’s not fully warm. It not highly modified so most settings and components are near factory stock.
Many will run the 180 or even the 160, based on what works best for them.
Running “Normal”, mine will read “Just Left of Center”, AFTER the T-stat opens. like a few members have said.

Check all your connections to make sure there’s no corrosion built up. If you don’t have a problem with over heating that could be the issue.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote