View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
1976gmc20

Re: driveline clunk or slip issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Yeah I was sorry to see your latest purchase's tranny blues. Dangit man. Like you we search hard to get the most affordable, lowest mileage used vehicles we can find and hope for the best due to the repair costs. We some times buy a little warranty with them. That has paid off on several of our vehicles. The high costs of diesel repairs are what has caused me to not buy one. I'd really like to have one but I could just see us going in debt for a nice used dmax truck and right away the thing blows up or just past the extended warranty period.
I didn't get the warranty when I bought it because it was something like $3K for 2 years and I just didn't figure I would have that much expenses at that low mileage in that time period.

I just thought you might want to have your transmission checked to see if there is some sort of simple mechanical or computer adjustment that would prevent major problems like I had.

But I'm guessing the first owner of my pickup must have been dragging around a backhoe or something on a trailer and really worked it? Anyway it drives beautifully now.

I was also afraid of repairs on a dmax but I did buy my daughter a 2002 to replace her rolled Ford. So far it's been okay except for that stupid little coolant bypass hose that blew out climbing out of Denver. The guy that brought her trailer over the mountains said he thought it was too big/heavy for her pickup but I don't really see how that is possible? It's a 4 horse gooseneck with tack room - what more could you get to pull it besides a medium duty??? I don't think the hitch weight would be too much for a 2500HD. She said it drove fine until she started loosing coolant.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote