View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #588
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

I've arrived at a crossroads of sorts. This past week, I drove the car home, and while it was mostly fine, it was not entirely without issues. I comforted myself by believing the small problems would be solved by the tuner. To prepare for the session with the tuner, I attached my laptop to the FITech hand held controller to download the necessary program drivers for the ProCal software. Somehow in all of that, I overwrote the changes the guys at Hot Rod Express had made to the ECU calibration and now the car won't start. I used the hand held controller to reenter as many of the parameters as I could remember, but no luck. Engine just backfires when you crank it and refuses to start.

As the problems with the engine and transmission have multiplied, I've become disenchanted with the whole computer controlled / EFI thing. I've told more than one person I should have had my head examined for going this route after the issues I had with the GM Connect & Cruise package in my truck build. This is even worse because of the scarcity of people familiar with FITech around here. I get the feeling the drag racing guy down in Belton that's supposed to know how to tune these setups isn't all that interested in my deal.

Furthermore, I've come to the conclusion I'm too old to acquire and retain the knowledge needed to properly setup a system like what I have on the wagon right now. There are just too many landmines that lead to poor performance or outright failure. Like Dirty Harry famously said, "A man's gotta know his limitations." And more than anything, I hate having to rely on others for help.

So I'm thinking the time has come to throw in the towel on the FITech/4L70E. I think I can convert to MSD/Holley intake/FST carb/TH700R4 and peddle the parts I take off. With any luck, I might almost break even on the exchange and end up with a system I can work on without being at the mercy of others.

The EFI setup looks nice, but that's about the only thing it has going for it.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote