View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
old51sedan

Re: I bounced a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
You heard right. I wrote a check and it bounced like a basketball.

I bought a car. I wrote a check for it and told the guy (I know him) to hold it until the money gets transferred from my other account. Probably 3 to 4 business days. Don't ask me why it takes that long but it does. I've done it before. I'm basically at the mercy of the banks and they are in no hurry.

So... He tells me "no problem'. He will hold the check until I call and give him the green light.

Then I get nastygrams from my bank telling me that I have no money in my checking account. Sure enough, the check was deposited the same day despite me making it very clear that I had to transfer the funds.

Apparently one of the partners at the dealer neglected to tell the other that the check was on a hold and the other guy went and deposited it that day.

They were very apologetic for screwing up my checking account. And said that they would pay any fees that I incurred. It was only 35 bucks so I told them to buy me a beer the next time I saw them and we'd call it good.

It was just alarming to see my account in the red...Way in the red. But it's all good now.

Everybody is different in how they do their banking, some use banks, others credit unions. I don't believe there is much difference. I use a CU and do most all my banking on line, I might go to the CU once or twice a year. I have almost everything direct deposited and I pay all my bills on line. I do write a few checks, but not many, but if I'm in this type of situation I just go into my account and transfer money from savings to checking, just a matter of pushing a few buttons. Happens in minutes, not days. I've never owned a credit card, but do have a debit card which I use for most purchases and I can get extra spending money at most stores so I've never used a ATM machine. This all works for me, but may not for someone else. I do like the T-Bird by the way.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote