Thread: 47-55.1 custom made AD gauges
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2021, 10:49 PM   #19
skymangs

Re: custom made AD gauges

I guess I’ve never posted on how to modify your OG steering wheel to work on a modern column. It’s easy, flip the wheel over and use a flap disk on the backlight to make the base flat. I’ll try to take a pic of what I mean tomorrow.

So you want to use your original steering wheel cause it just looks right. But you can’t figure out how to make your horn work. The reason is simple enough. When that truck was made, the column was energized and the horn was the ground that completed the circuit. Modern columns use the column as a ground and energizes the horn button. So you need to flip-flop it in the horn button. I have never been successful in drilling a used horn ring, they’re just to fragile. So starting with a new horn ring, drill two 3/8” holes about opposite each other. Weld a tab to the bottom then bend the tab through the hole without touching the top plate. Weld a tab through the top plate. The spring wire goes through the other hole, and that wire goes to the tab welded to the bottom plate. The wire from the horn button goes to the tab welded to the top plate.

Attached Images

skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote