View Single Post
Old 08-17-2021, 11:42 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Re: Gathering parts for front disc brakes for 1969

What are the tools to have in a junk yard to pull the steering center link and tie rods off of a donor 71-72 2WD truck? I have assorted wrenches and a pitman arm puller to disengage the pitman arm from the gear box. I have never cared much for cordless tools because the batteries give up when I need them the most and are expensive to replace, so I don't have any. I have a big air compressor and air impact wrench that I use to do stuff on my truck when it is at my house. I'll go tool shopping to get whatever I need to accomplish this conversion if you guys say "seriously you're going to want a [fill in tool name here]." Are there going to be any seriously difficult to remove nuts and bolts or need for specialized tools when I'm a couple hundred miles from my house and at a junk yard?
I have not done this sort of thing to my truck yet so beginner in this area, but generally mechanically inclined. I've had the pitman arm off of the gear box before, from when I re-did the seals and adjusted my power steering gear box, but I was not able to separate the pitman arm from the center link. Pitman arm puller does not work for that.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote