theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short Bed Styleside Metal/Body/Paint Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins10672 View Post
beautiful work as always.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
This is going to be the nicest truck built!!!!
Nah, it's nowhere near Ridler level quality! Should be pretty slick for sticking with nearly all original/stock style panels though. It's way easier to make them super nice when you can redesign new custom panels like the firewall, jambs, floors/floor braces, etc from scratch and make everything fit and flow together from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Great job John...and great that you got cowl patches that actually work without having to modify them
Thanks! Those corners pretty much fell into place once they were trimmed!

The firewall to kick panel flange was really wavy around the spot welds so that was straightened, then I ground back the edges until the height of all the layers matched. (I thought more of this was visible, but it's mostly hidden under the inner fenders after test fitting them.)

The flange of the cowl skin was wrinkled and uneven so I trimmed both sides before final blasting.

With those spots finished up I rolled it out and blasted the inner layers of the cowl sides that were cut open, and I lightly blasted over the floor, firewall inside and out to prep for two coats of epoxy.

I started bodyworking the firewall by skimming the upper face and flange.

Once both sides were filled/blocked into the correct shape and straight I masked off the inside corner and used a spreader with the corner rounded off to make an even radius from side to side.

Floor pan and tunnel welds smoothed up enough for Raptor Liner.

Starting to straighten out the stamping distortion in the firewall.

Another coat of epoxy to seal the filler and extend the 7 day recoat window. Both mom and dad have had covid for the last 2.5 weeks so I wasn't able to get much done within the first 7 day window. They're both doing much better now and things should be back to normal soon.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote