View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #23
Big Kev-O

Re: The penalty is “mandatory revocation of license” for at least a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I'm not a fan of legislation to eliminate automotive trends, no matter how dumb the trend, because you never know when you'll be next. Don't think it's impossible to finally push through some BS legislation that bans 20 year old and older cars... with the climate things they're pushing... we're not far off.

There are several laws on the books already they could hit these guys with if they really wanted to, most of these trucks are newish so they could hit them with pedestrian crash standards, headlight height and/or adjustment... etc. My point is, a new, specific law is not necessary.

Totally agree, and while I do see the danger presented this is indeed a slippery slope. Reminds me of the law California put into place 1957 to make lowered vehicles illegal. The law had nothing to do with safety and was put in to place because a bunch of white dudes who thought gang violence was somehow related to lowered cars. In actuality the car culture was giving young guys something to do other than sit around the hood gang banging. The Lowrider scene in CA is actually a very peacefull environment. Today any modification to a vehicle's suspension or exhaust is illegal in CA, that is some communist B.S. That is when hydraulics came in to the picture, so guess there is an upside.

The North Carolina State Highway Patrol put on a presentation about squatted truck safety but when they were contacted about the information they provided they could provide no actual data. A separate report stated that North Carolina State Highway Patrol doesn’t track accidents relating to squatted vehicles. Guess they are trying to prevent a problem before it happens... Or they just have a stick up their rear about something they feel is deviant behavior.

Now if my child was struck by a squatted vehicle I would probably feel a ban may be in order. On the other hand my parents always told me to stay out of the street. That damn stealty electric Prius driven by a 16 y.o. is probaly 1000% more dangerous to pedestrians than a squatted truck. Maybe we should ban teenage drivers & electric vehicles too.