View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #30
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: 1970 L47 400 BB Torque and HP chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I have recently rebuilt an L36 427 because I had it and it has not been decked and is from a 69 Corvette. BUT, if I was to build a new motor from scratch (and I am considering this for a motor home) I would find a 454 and build a 496. The 427 rebuild was the same price as building a 496.

If it was a low mileage L29 I would probably consider running as-is since they have better compression and large oval port heads already. (Vortex 454 circa 96-2000) Maybe an RV type cam swap. And the headers. For the most part I don’t run headers but for specific goals you mention I think they are worthwhile.

As far as noise, Ceramic Coated small tube headers are fairly quiet. And it is ALWAYS worthwhile to add noise abatement and insulating materials to a 50 year old truck cab…
It's a CST, so it's fairly well padded. One can always use more, though. I already contacted Cold Case, as I have their radiator in my truck. They assure me that if the rest of the cooling system is up to snuff, the radiator can handle 500 CI engines. That makes sense, because the radiator in a Cadillac is close to the same size as the truck's and they can have 500 CI engines. And no, I'm not going to put a Caddy engine in it!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote