View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 03:08 AM   #964
mr48chev

Re: Our Trucks Doing What They Did - Vintage Photo Thread

Those assembly line photos are great, I'll being that one of the bare cab being put together more than a little bit.

I've got a friend who's dad worked in the anthophyllite and tremolite mine(s) in Idaho in the early 50's and his stories were about the same as the guys in the lead mines in Germany. He has had raspatory issues for years because of it. He said he and other kids actually played in piles of the stuff.

All of us who are over about 65 can remember going in someone's house that had a big sheet of 1/2 inch or so thick Asbestos behind the wood cook stove in the kitchen or the wood/coal stove in the living room. Quite often your mom had a couple of small squares of it to set on the table or counter to put hot pots and pans on. The original siding on my mom's house was most likely Asbestos but it all got pulled off in 1968 when I was in Vietnam and they did a remodel on the house and added a dining room. That siding would be this stuff in this photo. I wish I had that roadster body now.

I blew the dust out of brakes for years not knowing how nasty that stuff was and stopped when a coworker said it bothered his asthma. Now you have a tent to wash it off the backing plates in.

Now I need to study that photo a bit.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote