Thread: Wampus Cat
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 11:46 PM   #134
TxCajun

Re: Wampus Cat

S10 Tailgate Latches Part 2

The first modifications to the latch assembly are cutting off the two brackets shown, and chamfering a corner as shown to allow the latch to fit in the “pocket” on the end of the tailgate.

Then, the tailgate is modified by cutting a rectangular hole for the latch mechanism to fit through, and adding mounting holes for the latch. I located this by centering the latch “plunger” where the chain eyelet was previously located. The mounting hole towards the top of the tailgate has a nut welded to a washer, and then plug welded on the inside of the flange. The mounting hole towards the center of the tailgate is a “through” hole in the flange. The lower bolt actually has an exposed head on the outside of the tailgate, but I think a button head screw is fairly un-noticeable there.

Next, I cut back the inner flange of the tailgate on each end to allow room for the cable when the tailgate is raised. When you do this, you cut through a portion of the end-flange/spot-welds, so you have to re-weld this with a series of tack welds along the edge.
Attached Images