View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 05:03 PM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Speaker Mount - location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Ok ... that's what is bad about typing ... one doesnt always read properly.

I had a person say something like that on another site and they were serious... they wanted me to use a CB mag mount on the top of the cab.

You are correct that in years gone by cutting holes was normal. What were we thinking back in the day
A CB Mag Mount would be problematic, as HiFi speakers use electromagnetism as their dynamic force. An EM field too close to the speaker coil may affect sound fidelity.

''What were we thinking?'' We were thinking: this is a handy spot, out of the way, unused space. It has a clear path to the Cab Center. It's just an ''old'' truck. It's mine. Paid for already. I'll do what I want.

One note for anyone who actually wants to cut speaker holes in their doors [not likely] or, more probably, already has doors so-modified by a PO -- You need to put sound insulation on the back of the speakers to keep unwanted reverberations [and rattling] out of the door cavities. Dynamat lining of the lower door interior would also mellow it out. The speaker hole is handy when replacing the Window Regulator.

I have no stereo right now. I went back to a very simple, no accessories profile on my '68 C/10, while it was waiting for a fresh engine in 2005.
I have a Cigar Lighter socket so I can recharge my cell, or plug in a GPS.
The old Jensen 6-1/4'' speakers still fill the holes, but I'd need new speakers if I put in another AM/FM rig.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote