Thread: 55.2-59 junk yard seats
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: junk yard seats

I've walked away from three crashes in my life where I am positive that the belts were what saved my life Twice in scout helicopters in Vietnam OH 13 and an OH-6 the OH-6 crashing into trees that were about 50 ft tall and they broke the fall on the way down.

When I got rea ended in my 92 Prism GSI by the garbage truck and shoved into the barrier strip I had a nice bruise from the shoulder belt across my chest for a month. It broke the seat and slammed me back and when I hit the Johnson barrier it slammed me forward with extra force. Amazingly I could drive the car to a parking lot 150 yards away and all 4 doors on that car still opened.

The seat belts keep you in place and keep you from being thrown out or falling out when the stock door latches fail. My wife fell out of the 48 43 years ago when she was leaning against the door and it popped open while going around a corner but we were only going about 5 mph at the time. It's staying in place and staying in the vehicle that keeps you alive in any crash.

As far as belts in an AD or TF a strip of 2 or wider flat bar run below the floor board that the belts bolt to or seats that have belts (rather ugly for an old truck though) bolt to the floor with. will keep the bolts from pulling out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote