View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Correctly installed rag joint to shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
I found in the back of the service manual, in the Specifications section under steering, it says Flexible Coupling Bolt & Studs are 18 in. lbs.

Sounds kinda light
Ah, I nearly hit the spec. section a minute ago for the coupler clamp bolt, but this isn't ready for any of that yet. Thank you. At first I thought why the same for a 5/16" & 3/8" stud, but then, it's supposed to be even on both sides.

So how's it going so far with this? FAIL I recruited my 100 lb. daughter on the steering wheel for "50 lbs" above. Yeah right, from below it was like putting a square peg in a round hole & prevented by physics or other well above me. The shaft was already tightened on the rag joint. I get to do that again too. NO WAY I was able to put the spec of 1/2"ish on the pre-load spring, no matter if she pushed or not, still 1/8" off at best.

We did that with the steering wheel on and an upper bearing in to keep things mostly stable. At this point I believe it needs to be mostly completely assembled at the top, though I can't figure out why. Perhaps I need the shift housing on, at least, though I read someplace you're not just preloading the lower bearing & spring but the upper bearing was well.

Back to that 1/2" preloaded spring spec for this 71 (see picture), baring suggestions, from here I'll try it again when this is mostly assembled on top. Perhaps I'll do that with the shaft on the rag joint snug at first, though hopefully it's unnecessary. Currently the mast's stumps are a pinch off the column fire wall cover, I could drop it a pinch more if I have to, see what happens.

The adjuster ring comes into play for that 1/2" spec as well, and/or it's for the shift lever spacing. I'm not sure how it impacts the lever yet, perhaps it will make more sense when the cab side is built.

Unfortunately I didn't think to measure the preload spring when I tore this down 5 years ago (gulp!), and didn't know enough to measure placement of the adjuster ring either. If anyone has a 71 or knows their column is supposed to have the spec pictured, appreciate a measurement or two where your preload spring ended up. A measure or two where your adjuster ring might prove helpful too, for the column assembly type pictured.

Is there supposed to be an O-ring located on the bottom of the jacket for the lower bearing on a non-tilt column? It didn't have one when I found it, but read this & that and maybe there's supposed to be one.

Other than that, I nearly feared rebuilding the column from mostly scratch, and now I know why
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-26-2021 at 01:22 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote