Thread: 47-59 The Future of Our Trucks
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 05:20 PM   #13
UmmYeahOk

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
I am surprised that you don't see a battery life deteriation on your EVs. Most people I knew with them did. Every rechargeable battery I have been around did. That's cell phones, com gear, hand toils and even forklifts. Heck my laptop has a dieing battery in it.
Our Tesla comes with a lifetime of supercharging. We have never used this service, ever. Even when my husband sat in a spot for several minutes. It would be nice to know that if works before attempting something long range. But the belief is that speed charging hurts the batteries, decreasing their lifespan. They get really really hot, and anyone who’s left anything with batteries in it up in a attic after a Texas summer knows that those batteries are most likely dead, or about to be.

Did the people you know ever supercharged? Or drive to the limit? There is a range setting that you can adjust. For example, if I am planning a trip, I can set it to charge at a higher capacity, get about 20-50 more miles by telling it to fully charge. I wonder how high these people charged. Range anxiety is real, and my husband was concerned because when he arrived home, he could only go 65 miles. The worst I’ve had it, was arriving home at 48 miles. I don’t know how low these people are draining their batteries. I also don’t know if my gauge lies, and that 48 becomes 8 after a mile or two. I once had an iPhone who would be at full charge, 30 minutes half, then shut down completely due to having a dead battery. So that gauge never went below the halfway mark back when I had this issue.

But pretty much most things that are rechargeable are abused. Power tools people often use till dead. Phones, smart watches, portable media devices, etc. I started reusing an old 90s Walkman about a year ago. I have been using rechargeable AA batteries. Those batteries are needed for radio presets and the clock. The clock drains those batteries because when I am not playing music, it still uses the clock. The Tesla has several features that will turn off if you end up with 20 miles of battery left. Would stink to get stranded or ruin your battery because you wanted to watch Netflix on your vehicles screen, or that Whoopie cushion (emissions) feature.
Posted via Mobile Device